Our client is providing software development services to a variety of Federal and Fortune 500 companies in the area of big data analytics utilizing a java based code-base leveraging open source technologies such as Elastic Search, Hadoop, Kafka, Storm, and others. This solution is being used by active Security analysts to sift through log data measured in petabytes and derive useful information.
This role will suit someone with a foundation in Java development, big data solutions and leading Software Developers who is looking for a role to work on big data solutions creating intelligence. The Software Developer Manager will roll up their sleeves and provide technical leadership to major products, but also manage a team of engineers and communicate with customers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a Software Engineering Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. Software Developer teams work across many client projects in the government and commercial sector, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and continues to evolve daily. Operating with agility and speed, our software developers are just getting started -- and as a manager you guide the way.
You will lead engineering teams to build large-scale big data solutions using open source components such as Hadoop, Elastic search and AngularJS. You will help drive visions for client centered products. You will work closely with project management, sales, and marketing to define and execute projects.
Our client emphasizes highly skilled small teams using agile development methods to create next -generation solutions. Our developers are involved in all parts of the product lifecycle: idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, execution, and shipping. Our projects start with brainstorming to discover, explore, and understand our customer’s greatest challenges in the visual and technical spaces. Then we develop and implement. Finally we release and continuously iterate on products that have a direct impact on the toughest problems.
- 70%: technical/solutions lead: hands on development/architecture
- 15% direct customer engagement
- 15% manage and develop engineering team of 15
- Projects: Commercial or Federal (could be doing both at the same time)
- Project Managers are working directly with the manager on a daily basis to ensure client success
- Products are getting completed on time
- BD and PM's are bringing EM into conceptualize and strategic planning meetings
- Must be willing to be available outside of work hours and do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Pretty regularly 45 hour work weeks
- Lead and mentor a team of developers, which includes tech leads
- Develop and launch new products
- Identify market and customer opportunities and help define vision and strategy for product
- Lead and mentor developers in agile team processes to include tracking status of items, daily stand-up meetings and collaboration
JOB EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline
- Experience in a management, engineering and technology strategy role
- Experience in customer facing space
- Master Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline
- Proven track record of building strong teams
- Excellent customer relation skills verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills with strong technical abilities in areas related to big data solutions
- Experience implementing and leading Agile (Scrum) Development projects